I’m on this BIG kick to get healthy and cut out all processed foods…which means I need to figure out how to make most of the foods in our house (kind of daunting, but I’m just going one at a time…eventually they’ll all be homemade).
My kids (and my husband) eat a TON of yogurt…and if you look at the label on this stuff…it’s full of sugar! This seemed like the perfect place to start.
This stuff was sooooo easy and sooooo good…I’ll never buy yogurt again! And I hope I can convince you to make your own yogurt too!
Yogurt is a great way to start healing your gut (if you haven’t read Brain Maker, you NEED to).
I was diagnosed with IBS at age 19, so I’ve had a life long issue with my gut not working. After reading Brain Maker I realized that years of antibiotic use and the Standard American Diet have probably lead to my current health issues.
A few years ago I saw a nutritionist and she was concerned that I wasn’t absorbing my food properly…that’s probably been the case my whole life, so I’m going to really start focusing on pre- and probiotic foods to build up my gut again (seriously read the book).
My Yogurt Experiment
My results: They tasted exactly the same, but using the dehydrator makes the yogurt 5.5 hours faster than using the crock pot.
Crock Pot Yogurt
- 4 cups whole milk (organic is best)
- 1/2 cup organic, plain yogurt (or yogurt from a previous batch)
- 1 quart canning jar with lid
- Place the milk in your crock pot and turn to high for 2.5 hours.
- Turn off crock pot completely and let sit undisturbed for 3 more hours.
- Mix in your 1/2 cup yogurt.
- Replace crock pot lid and cover with a towel for 10 hours.
- Pour the yogurt into your canning jar, cover and put in the refrigerator.
- Try to eat within 1 week…be sure to save 1/2 cup for your next batch.
Have you ever made your own yogurt?