Today was the nicest day we’ve seen in a couple of weeks and the boys took advantage by deciding that they needed to decorate the playhouse fort in the backyard for Christmas.
They drew pictures of Christmas lights and stockings. We went to Home Depot and got a little tree and we made some salt dough ornaments.
These had to be super simple…since we needed them NOW…so I tried hardening them in the microwave…and it totally worked!
But there were a couple of tips I would recommend:
1. Use flour on wax paper when you are rolling out the dough.
2. Just before you cut out the ornaments…flip the dough so it’s not stuck to the paper.
3. Skooch the cookie cutter around a bit so you’re certain that it cuts completely.
4. Use a spatula if it sticks.
5. Spray cooking oil on a paper plate, then put 2-3 ornaments at a time and harden them in the microwave for one minute.
6. Use marker, watercolor paint, glitter glue…pretty much anything you want to decorate.
This was a fun family project that everyone enjoyed!
Have you made your own ornaments before?