One type of sports betting is the handicap. This type allows you to reduce the possible risk when betting, as well as increase the likelihood of winning. It is used in a fairly large number of sports, including football, basketball, etc. But how do handicaps work in betting. what is it and how to use it? We will talk about this in more detail later.
What is a handicap and how does it work?
For starters, it’s worth getting to grips with it. what is a handicap. The essence of this type of bet is that the weak team gets an additional coefficient to their account, while the strong team must win by a large margin. As a result, a weak team gets some advantage, while a strong one must show higher performance in order to win.
But it is worth understanding how such a system works and what such rates are.
Types of handicaps and how they work
In total, there are two main types of handicaps. Namely:
It is worth talking in more detail about each of the options and understanding How do handicaps work in betting.
The most popular option is the European Handicap. It works quite simply: one of the teams is given a fixed surplus to the score, which depends on the team’s rating and chances of winning. The coefficient is expressed in tenths of a goal, for example, 0.5, 1.5, 2.5.
In order for the bet to play, you need to guess the winner of the match, taking into account the surplus coefficient. For example, if a team received an additional coefficient of 1.5, then in order for the bet to play, it must win by at least 2 goals.
The second option is Asian. It is similar to the past but has its own differences in the principle of work. Unlike the European one, where the surplus factor is fixed, in the Asian one it is possible to choose a more accurate one and use it flexibly.
When betting with the Asian Handicap, each of the teams is assigned a certain surplus coefficient, while it can be from half a goal to a goal. Those, 0.25, 0.75 and beyond. This allows you to control the level of risk more flexibly.
To win an Asian Handicap bet, you need to guess the winner, taking into account the surplus coefficient. For example, if team A received a coefficient of 0.25, then to win it is necessary to win the match with any difference, even 1 goal.
What is the difference between handicap and handicap
These are two different types of bets, which are somewhat similar to each other. They are used to balance the chances of teams that have different levels of play.
A handicap is an additional coefficient to the account, which allows you to get an advantage in the bet.
A handicap is a fixed score difference between teams.
As a result, the main difference between these two types of bets is that the handicap balances the chances of the teams, while the handicap provides a fixed advantage.
What bets replace the handicap
If you don’t want to bet on handicap then there are some alternative bets you can consider:
- Bet on the team to win. If the team is strong, then you can bet on it without using a handicap or handicap.
- Totals. This is a bet on the total number of goals. You can bet on separate halves, on the whole match, on the total score or on each team separately.
- Bets on the performance of players. These are separate bets on exactly how many goals a particular player will score in a match, how many points he scores, etc.
- Bets on full time and match time. This is a bet on individual match results for a certain period of the game, or for the entire match, its individual parts and halves.
Advantages and Disadvantages of handicap betting
This type of betting has its advantages and disadvantages. First, consider the pros:
- The handicap allows you to equalize the chances of teams with different levels of play.
- Reduces risk when placing bets and insures against unexpected outcomes.
- Available in different sports.
But there are certain disadvantages, including:
- Fairly complex bets in the understanding of beginners.
- May be less profitable than no handicap betting.
- Can be ineffective if a strong team wins by a small margin.
What else do you need to know about rates?
Handicap is one of the most popular types of sports betting, which allows you to equalize the chances of teams. They are used in different sports, have their pros and cons. Such a solution can help increase profits, but at the same time is not always the best of its kind. Also, handicapping can be tricky for betting newbies.
Handicaps should be handled with the utmost care, as they can both increase profits and incur losses. To achieve success in betting, you need to carefully study the sport of interest to you, analyze the game of teams and take into account other features. And in this you can deal with our materials.