In the summer of 2016 we bought a house outside of Austin, TX on 5.5 acres. I was ready for land, animals and NO HOA.
We spent the first 6 months remodeling the inside of the house (check the pictures below). Now I’m ready to get started on the outside. I HATE the front of the house. It has no curb appeal. So I’m going to try and take you along on my quest to re-do the front garden.
Here’s the pictures of the before and after of the kitchen. It was an amazing transformation. We redid all the floors, took out a wall, redid the bathrooms and kitchen.
I had a Master Gardener come out last year and make a plan for the front gardens for me.
She gave me a list of plants she recommends and where to put them. I ended up having to spend the money on fencing for the back few acres so I put the front garden on hold. But Spring is coming and I’m ready to get to it!
Things to Do
- Decide if we want to do this ourselves or hire a landscaper
- Figure out how to get the bushes that are there now, out
- Figure out where to get more dirt to fill in some of the areas that have exposed foundation
- Remove the grass
- Till the dirt there
- Think again about hiring a landscaper
- Put down weed fabric and steel perimeter
- Find where to order all these different plants
- Find where to order the river rock and topsoil
- Think about installing automatic watering system
- Really go back to that idea of hiring a landscaper…lol
- Do I want all those plants or do I want some herbs in there too?
- If I update the front garden, then I’m going to have to fix the shutters too
- Build plant boxes under the windows
OK…my plan is to come back to the blog and share what I’ve found and how I go about renovating the front garden.
I’ll also be working on the main garden in the back too. I’ve already ordered seeds. I’ll update you on what I ordered when they come in.
Any tips for me?